09 June 2007

Summer is here, and my eyes arent the only thing streaming!

Apologies for anyone waiting for more tech blogs, strangely I feel more comfortable with 360 page technical manual or public speaking than with blogging, however it is time to make amends.

For those of you with hayfever like myself I sympathise, but DAD 2007 is hoping that we will be providing a positive streaming experience rather than the rhinitis type.

The first Dial a Diva (DAD) project was quite rightly telephone based, and required a 'one stop shop' solution for the technical delivery using a global teleconferencing platform. In DAD 2007, we have agreed that it will be more fun, and more in keeping with modern times to offer greater accessibility to the concert using a range of platforms.

It was decided that audio streaming of the concert was a positive step, and on the surface seems quite simple. In reality it can be quite simple as long as you make sure that all the technical equipment can a) handle the processor demands of streaming for 24 hours, b) the technical architecture allows for high quality data transfer rates, and c) the web server has enough bandwidth to allow as many people as possible to log-on and listen.

Then Zoe threw me that perennial curveball! Can we do Ogg...................................................'Ugg' I replied as my brain froze, what the h**l is Ogg.

A bit of research, and another week of discussions with streaming companies appears to have provided a quite sexy solution that I hope to trial and put through UAT (User Acceptance Testing).

So here goes..............................what am I thinking we can do?

Simultaneous live streaming of the concert to the Stavanger and DAD2007 website.
3 or 4 types of stream including MP3 pro, MP3. WMA9 and Ogg.
Streaming can be sent to Shoutcast, Live 365, Windows Media, Icecast1 or 2 and P2P streamer.

If I have enough time, I will also be able to caption the stream, so everyone out there will know who is performing if they miss the introduction.

So welcome to streaming for DAD2007

No comments: